The Canton of Ard Chreag is the Scarborough-Markham-Pickering-Ajax (Ontario, Canada) branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism, a society of people who recreate aspects of the medieval period as they occurred in countries around the world. While some re-enactment groups are rooted in European history, the SCA is interested in medieval Asia, the Americas, and everywhere else. We take pains to recreate these ages, within the bounds of safety, equality, friendship, and sometimes even good taste. Whether the Middle Ages are a general or a specific interest, or a consuming passion for you, there is a place for you here!
So, what do people do in the SCA? The quick answer is: Everything!
The somewhat more involved answer has several parts, any or all of which may interest you.
Among other things:
- We demonstrate the flavour and history of the Middle Ages for schools and other educational settings. We are a not-for-profit educational organization.
- We also do a lot of medieval arts and sciences, such as costuming, embroidery, brewing, dyeing, calligraphy and illumination, to name only a few.
- We try to recreate combat in a safe manner, with swords made of a wood called “rattan”, and armour made out of metal, leather, or sometimes hard plastic.
- We engage in fencing, with a few different twists from the Olympic sport we know today.
- We try archery, using recurve and longbows, wooden arrows, and no modern sights.
- We host feasts for fun, where we sit with friends, old and new, and are presented with excellent food. The food is usually an attempt at (sometimes an outright reproduction of) a medieval recipe.
- We hold courts, where we present respected and accomplished members of our Society with awards, and induct them into prestigious orders, in recognition of their work which keeps our Society running! People are recognized for skills in the arts, sciences, research, martial activity, and perhaps most importantly, service.
This is the recognized web site for the Canton of Ard Chreag of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. and is maintained by Ellaire de Troyes (Tara England). This site may contain electronic versions of the group’s governing documents. Any discrepancies between the electronic version of any information on this site and the printed version that is available from the originating office will be decided in favor of the printed version. For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this web site, please contact the Webminister via the for below. He or she will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors. Copyright © 2018 Canton of Ard Chreag. The original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site.